Jul 10, 2016

15 die as protests continue in India-held Kashmir after militant's death

15 die as protests continue in India-held Kashmir after militant's death

15 die as protests continue in India-held Kashmir after militant's death
SRINAGAR: The death toll in India-held Kashmir (IHK) rose to 15 Sunday as clashes between Indian troops and protesters continued despite a curfew imposed in the disputed Himalayan region to suppress violence following the killing of a popular militant.

Six civilians who had been injured after Indian troops fired on rock-throwing protesters died overnight while a man was killed on Sunday as hundreds of people defied the curfew and clashed with troops in southern Pulwama town, a police official said on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorised to speak to reporters.

Eight people were killed on Saturday. The massive protests erupted after Burhan Wani, chief of operations of Hizbul Mujahideen was killed fighting with Indian troops on Friday.

Two other militants were also killed.

Indian troops used live ammunition, pellet guns and tear gas to try and control the angry crowds, police said. More than 100 civilians have so far been injured in the clashes.

Police intelligence chief Shiv M. Sahai said that protesters attacked several police and paramilitary posts in the region. Some 90 government troops have also been injured, he said.

Thousands of government forces in riot gear have fanned out across towns and villages in IHK.

Indian officials, fearing that the killing could lead to violent protests in the already troubled region, have also indefinitely suspended an annual Hindu pilgrimage to a mountain cave which draws about half a million people each year.

Cellphone services in southern parts of Kashmir remained suspended for a second day and mobile internet was blocked in rest of the region to prevent demonstrators from mobilising.

Shops, businesses and government offices remained closed. Authorities also postponed school and college examinations and suspended rail services.

Wani, in his early 20s, had become the iconic face of militancy in Kashmir over the last five years. His video clips and pictures were widely circulated among young people in the region.

The son of a school headmaster, Wani regularly posted video messages online dressed in military fatigues and invited young men to join the movement against Indian rule.
© Dawnnews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Add Your Comments and Reviews Here.